About Me

My name is Orissa Humes and I am a CCP student, attending COTC, from Mount Vernon High School. It is my senior year of high school and I am in my final two semesters of college. I am trying to get my associate’s degree in digital media this year alongside my high school diploma. I want to get my associate’s degree to build an application to a college out of state. It will also help me get a job while in college to pay for school. I choose this degree because I am passionate about digital media and want to learn more.

I am an only child besides our animals. I have 3 cats named Patches, Mr. Grey, and Stoney. I also have an 8-month-old lab mix puppy named Mabel. Although she is only eight months old, she already weighs 80 pounds. I also have pigs. I enjoy all the chores and care that come with the pigs. I breed pigs and then 6 months later I take the babies to the fair. We just had three litters of pigs at the beginning of August. We have a total of 19 pigs in our barn right now.

I take the pigs through a program at my high school called FFA. The program is very similar to 4-H. It teaches leadership and career success. Through this program, I have taken on the role of reporter for the past three years. My job as the reporter is to write news articles and post on our chapter’s social media. I earned the state degree in the organization in May. The degree is a high honor in our organization, less than 2% of members obtain this degreeĀ  (1 in 581 members).