WK12 Mobile apps blog post

The two popular mobile apps I will be discussing are actually the number one and two trending apps in the app store right now. The first being TikTok and the second being YouTube.

TikTok is an app that is used to make videos for entertainment that last at most 60 seconds. It’s based off of the once popular app Vine that had a similar premise and structure. According to Hootsuite TikTok has a reputation for being popular with teens. 27% of its users are between 13-17 years old. But internal data from March 2019 shows that its largest age demographic (42%) is the young adult crowd. Combined, the 13-24-year-old segments reps 69% of the app’s user base. As far as revenue streams go its highly dependent on how many followers you have but according to influencermarketinghub.com Until TikTok’s advertising network develops further, the easiest way for TikTok influencers to earn money is by making direct arrangements with brands. As people become better known on the platform, they will begin to have brands approach them with business propositions. Once you count your followers in the thousands, you can start to look at monetizing TikTok. Companies have been known to pay $200 to $20,000 per branded video promoted by influencers, depending on the individual’s level of influence. I have never personally posted anything to TikTok but I have scrolled through occasionally when I would get bored so therefore I have no tips or tricks to getting the most out of the app.

YouTube is an app for both content creators and general users to stream videos of their liking. According Sproutsocial.com YouTube is the perfect platform for reaching a teenage and young adult audience, as 81% of US internet users aged between 15 and 25 are using the platform. Interestingly, YouTube is popular across other age groups as well. As far as how much you can make as a YouTuber turbo.intuit.com says  you can make anywhere between $0.01 to $0.03 per view, which translates to $3-$5 per 1000 views, and up to $5,000 for 1,000,000 views. YouTube income is generated by advertisements through AdSense, sponsorships with popular brands, and affiliate links. As an avid user of YouTube, one tip I can give to those looking to get the most out of the app, if you find a youtuber you enjoy watching make sure to turn on notifications so that you are alerted when they upload a video. Also, if you are looking to buy something make sure to look up reviews on the product first through YouTube because not only will you gain more knowledge on what you’re purchasing but you may also find discount codes.