Rachel's School Blog

WK10 The Cloud – Cloud services review

The two cloud-based services I use the most are gmail and Adobe’s Creative Cloud. I use gmail the most on a regular basis, from paying bills, to sharing photos with family. I also use it as a storing location, as in I save my emails, like bill payment receipts and the like, in separate carefully titled folders that I keep for the future. With the second cloud-based service I use, Adobe’s Creative Cloud, I primarily use this to back up my files, so that if I lose them on my computer, I still have another source holding the files that I don’t want to lose.

• Would this application/system work as well NOT in the cloud?

Adobe Creative Cloud was designed to store information somewhere other than a computer, and gmail was created to send and receive information from outside sources. Neither of them would work without the cloud.

• What are the advantages to having this system on a distributed network?

These applications make it easy to store and share information. They make it easy for one person to distribute large amounts of information to a group of people. This makes it easier for people working in group projects to communicate and stay on the same page.

• Do you have any security or privacy concerns when using this system?

I always have security concerns when using gmail. It’s incredibly important to avoid opening emails or links from unknown sources. Adobe Creative cloud is slightly safer, although there is always a risk of anything in the cloud getting into the wrong hands.

• Anything else you’d like to share about cloud services.

Even with the many risks involved, and the many hacks that many large companies have had, people will continue to use these applications, thanks to how convenient they make daily life. Still, it’s important to always be careful and not to share information with anyone we don’t know.

Rachel Harbrecht • October 29, 2020

Previous Post

Next Post