Content Management Systems

Content management systems are changing web design by opening up the capabilities of running a site to more people. Whether it be for pleasure or business more people are able to be involved on the web. People who previously might not have felt like they could design a website because they didn’t know anything about HTML and CSS or felt like they couldn’t afford to pay someone to design their website are now able to use a content management system and do it themselves.

Though I have a just recently, in the past year, started using Adobe’s Dreamweaver to make smaller websites I find the process fascinating. Learning HTML and CSS has allowed me to have a different understanding for the process of how a website works. Though Dreamweaver has shortcuts and is very helpful it is still very important to know how to use HTML and CSS. This can be a good thing as well as a very challenging thing. Using this kind of system to develop a website can become very confusing very quickly but it also allows you an understanding of how to deconstruct an issue.  A major pain about this type of development is that each page takes huge amounts of work and time to create.

My work with content management systems has been here and there for a few years now. I am no expert by any means however I do enjoy the simplicity of this type of system. Of course, this is work done by others that you can put in place such as themes. In this type of development I don’t feel like I have as much control as a web developer and that if something goes wrong I’m not as quickly able to fix or understand the issue however the fix to that is that content management system have a contact to aid in those kinds of situations.

Overall, I see benefits to both kinds of website development and I really think the deciding factor depends on the extent of knowledge with HTML and CSS as well as the purpose of the site.

https://www.coredna.com/blogs/cms-vs-html

https://www.zesty.io/mindshare/marketing-technology/what-is-a-content-management-system-cms-the-complete-guide/